Wednesday 5 September 2007

Relaxation 101

Tonight was the first of the relaxation classes at Basildon Hospital. Before going I was not too sure whether I would be of any value at these classes and expected to hear about all the pushing and puffing! It soon became apparent that I was the only birthing partner to turn up, so a class full of 32+ month pregnant women and me.

Today's class didn't really get into any of the relaxation or breathing techniques for during the delivery. Instead it covered lots of useful subjects for Tina about posture, sitting correctly, how to bend down, how to get in and out of cars etc.etc. After this they all got on the floor and did some ab exercises and then some breathing/relaxing exercises to some very soothing music. Tina now has to try and keep doing these routines twice a day until Junior is born.

Ironically the relaxation class was held in the hospital gymnasium - for the records this has got to be a new record for me, sitting around in a gym for an hour and doing absolutely nothing!!! How wrong is that. Anyway one thing I did pick up tonight which I wasn't aware of is that some insurance companies do not cover pregnant woman to drive a car in the late stages of pregnancy. So I better dig out the policy tonight and see what the wording says. Anyone got a spare chauffeurs hat?

No comments: