Saturday 18 December 2021

Giant Cracker for 2021 Xmas

After having to pretty much cancel all Xmas family gatherings last year, it actually looks like we might be able to have a semi-normal Xmas this year. As we couldn't gather as a family last year we did not make our traditional giant Xmas cracker for secret Santa presents, but this year it is back. 

So today me and the kids went into town to pick up our coloured card, some ribbons and stickers and then when we headed home where me and Holly got cracking on the 2021 Xmas cracker (pun intended!). Holly picked the lilac and pink colours and the boys picked the claret for West Ham. I think Holly did a great job of decorating the cracker considering she done it all on her own this year.

As I have previously explained the large cracker tradition started from a memory I have of my Grandad once having a large cracker when we visited one Xmas. So I hope he is looking on proudly at this little tradition we have kept up, and of course he has my Nan by his side with him this year. 

It was sad to hear of the passing of my Nan in April of this year but even more shocking that none of her closest family felt the need to tell us about the loss so that we could go and pay our last respects. For some reason my Nan stopped talking to us over 8 years ago for reasons that are still unknown to me and which I will probably now never understand. This really saddens me that she shut us out completely because as a result of this she never met Holly once! I only hope I have brought my kids up better than this and that they value family above all else, support each other, stay close and if there are issues/problems - resolve them before it is too late!

The start of the 2021 cracker with the templates being cut out.

One end cut, folded and stuck together.

The structure is done and it is time to start decorating.

First on goes some double sided tape and ribbon.

Holly helped with the ribbon and arranged the colours.

Then she set to work adding 6 sheets of Xmas stickers.

No help from her brothers this year.

So Holly even glued on the West Ham parts in the middle section for them.

The finished Giant Cracker for 2021.

No comments: