Tuesday 17 November 2009

OXO Cube

Joshua is still showing a keen interest in cooking and with this comes lots of new experiences in terms of trying new foods and learning the names of new foods. He has already done the cake mix bowl finger licking and tonight whilst helping me cook dinner he advanced to one of the major childhood milestone - licking an OXO cube!

Anyway the main purpose of this blog is to track the progress of our two boys and share some pictures of them growing up. However lets not forget that this journey is also about two new parents who are learning all the time. Its been a while since I wrote any mushy stuff about how parenting is going and feelings towards the boys. So for today's blog update I will focus more on me and Tina than the boys.

Firstly I have to say that I am really pleased that we held off until later in life to become parents. I feel far more prepared for the challenge and the life skills that you develop over the years have been a great benefit in applying to parenthood. For me personally I am not sure I could have been half the Dad I have been to the boys had we of decided to have children 10 years earlier. That's not knocking the later by any means, everyone is different and each to their own. Also I feel that at this stage in my life I can be more of a role model for the children and hopefully inspire them and give them something to aspire to.

We are still learning about being parents every single day and using as many sources as possible, i.e. websites, books, news letters, magazines, other parents, mini mend clubs etc.etc. One thing I have learnt is that you will never know all there is to know about parenting and every child/parent development is different anyway. My tip to new parents would be to simply be open minded, listen to everyone and don't be afraid to try things out. Only last week we took a tip off of Tina's little sister regarding milk feeds and have successfully weaned Joshua off of full fat milk and onto skimmed milk.

The boys are growing so fast and it will not be long before Brandon is classed as a toddle. He already eats pretty much the same as us, he doesn't particularly like sitting there having baby cuddles anymore and loves being on his feet. Despite these changes I think he will always be our little baby (even though I think he is going to be a bigger lad than Joshua!).

There are several aspects to parenting which are absolutely priceless though and no matter how much they boys grow up I will always treasure these moments. To name just but a few;
  • watching the boys squirm in pleasure as you massage and tickle their backs or feet
  • having them run up to you and ask for a cuddle or kiss completely voluntarily
  • having them grab on and hold behind your leg when they are scared and need some security
  • having them give you a book and ask to ready them a story
  • watching them mimic your own mannerism's and movements
  • sitting down at the dinner table to eat as a family
  • having them bundle all over you when you are laying or sitting on the floor
  • the first time they try a new food or drink
  • they way Joshua says "lub you Daddy" when he goes to bed or I leave the house

No comments: