Wednesday 3 January 2018

Brandon's Golden Gloves & Development Boxing

So just before Xmas Brandon had a tryout at his boxing club where some 20 odd kids from the age of about 8-12 were put through their paces. The purpose of the tryout was to see who from the red foundation class was ready to move up to the blue development group. Strictly speaking the development group has a minimum age of 9 and obviously Brandon is only 8 so it didn't bode well for him.
 
However Brandon seems to have really taken to boxing and absolutely loves it. He concentrates hard, always has a smile on his face and is picking it up very quickly. With his good attitiude and the improvements he has made I am pleased to report that out of the 20 odd kids tested, he was one of only 3 selected to move up to development (and he was by far the smallest and youngest!). Needless to say I wasvery proud of him.
 
So Father Xmas kindly brought Brandon some new boxing gear for Xmas including his development club shorts and T-shirt and his golden boxing gloves which Auntie Nicky and Uncle Paul got for him. In the picture he is also wearing the gold head gear as we bought this at the same time as the gloves due to the fact tha he wanted matching colours and we didn't want to risk them running out of stock. But the head gear has been put away as a birthday present for him, he only got to try it on briefly for this picture.
 
Joshua has also now followed Brandon and started doing the Saturday morning foundation classes before going to football. Fingers crossed Joshua can learn at the same rate as B and soon also be in the development group.
 
As if all of that wasn't enough, I have also been asked by the head coach down there if I would like to get involved in a coaching role at the club. They are aware that I have been doing karate for 25+ years and that I keep in reasonable shape and are thinking they could use me to coach some strength and conditioning for the fighters. I have to say I am really excited about this opportunity as boxing is my cup of tea, As with the football coaching, I would rather get involved than just sit as an idle parent watching on the sidelines. 5 years ago I knew zip about football and I now coach/manage a team. So despite having little boxing knowledge who is to say I can't also learn to coach that.
 
Brandon sporting his new development boxing kit with his golden gloves and head guard.

No comments: