Wednesday 18 January 2012

Man Hug

One thing that is very important to me is “work life balance”. I am a strong believer in the motto “work to live and not live to work” and hopefully this is something that I will instill in the boys as they both grow older and wiser. I am very mindful about making sure I get “quality time” with the children on a daily basis and always make sure I take them and pick them up from nursery at least once a week. I am doing my best to be a Dad that in 15 years time will not be looking back with regret having missed out on their childhood days and wondering when they grew up so quickly. I believe that putting in this level of family commitment and dedication now will help forge a really strong father/son relationship that will pass the test of time.

It’s funny how over time you develop your own funny little ways and patterns with children that become part of the daily routine. One of mine is what me and the boys call our “man hug”. We all sit together for story time prior to going to bed and at the end of story time we snuggle up for our “man hug”. After the “man hug” Brandon usually races off the find Mummy to tell her “you missed it!” referring to our man hug! Also weekends are not called weekends anymore, to Joshua and Brandon it is known as “day off with the boys”. They now know I do 5 days at work and then it is 2 days off with the boys. Quite often they will wake up in the morning or be sitting at the dinner table and will ask if tomorrow is a “day off with the boys!”. So clearly my “quality” family time is starting to pay off as the two boys seem to get so excited about their “days off with the boys”. In fact, Joshua has now even commented that it is not fair that I do 5 days at work and then 2 days “at home with the boys”! If only that ratio could be turned around!!!!

No comments: