Friday 20 September 2013

Easy Rider

I set myself an objective to get Brandon cycling this Summer and really wanted to try and achieve this before he started school in September. I failed dismally in terms of timing as he started school 2 weeks ago, but I finally cracked the little guy tonight. It took about an hour of running up and down and getting very tired, firstly over the park on grass, then a gravel pathway and then on a quite road. He had two of three falls but nothing too serious. Once he started to get control of the steering and his balance, he was well away and even managed to do the push offs on his own without me having to hold the bike and run along side him. He is using the brakes very well to slow himself down and has also mastered the most important part - putting your foot on the floor when you come to a stop. I would say that he made more progress in his first proper session than Joshua did as it took me a couple of extra nights to get Joshua pushing off on his own.
 
Brandon mastered the push off all by himself.

Very cocky and confident considering nearly an hour ago he was still on stabilisers.

Brandon the easy rider.

Amazing picture of my two boys cycling side by side for the very first time.

And little B cycles off into the distance.............
 
I have to say I am an extremely proud Dad as I was beginning to think I would not get him riding a bike this year. Watching your child pedal a bike for the very first time without any assistance ranks right up there with watching them take their first steps. I think it is also quite an achievement that I managed to get both boys cycling before their 5th birthdays. So two down, one to go - but I have 4-5 years before I start teaching the next one!

1 comment:

Nicky xxx said...

Well done Brandon, what an achievement! Bet there will be no stopping you now! xxx