Saturday 30 May 2015

Chelsea Football Club Tournament

So after mine and Joshua's long day out at Leyton Orient and the Olympic Park, Brandon had the pleasure of going to the Chelsea training ground in Cobham for an U6's tournament. It was a bit last minute as I am not sure his coach really wanted to include him in the team which is such a shame. Given the approach his coach takes with the kids and the way they are being developed (or not as the case is) I would have considered not letting Brandon go to this tournament. However as it was such a great experience to go to Chelsea then I figured he should make the most of the opportunity.
 
However as a parent and a coach I found myself in a position where I gave Brandon some extremely bad advice for playing in today's game and the reason I did this is because his coach is clueless and is looking for one thing only - wins/goals. Mini soccer is supposed to be non competitive and the result/winning is not supposed to be the important. Instead coaches should focus on developing the kids equally in all positions and letting them have fun. Brandon's coach however seems to reward and prefer players who A) don't act as a team and never pass, B) shoot at every possible opportunity and C) upend every player with hard tackles even if you miss the ball. So as much as I disagree with the coaches philosophy, I advised Brandon to play exactly this way today as its the only chance he has of being noticed and getting time on the pitch. Such a shame really.
 
I am now scheduled to meet with the club chairman next weekend to discuss the U6's and what can be done to improve the situation at our club because to be honest I do not want Brandon playing under this coach for next season. So who knows, at the moment a lot of people are asking for me to take on the U6's as well, but I just don't see how I can run an U7's and an U6's team.
 
Brandon at Chelsea Football Club wearing his Chelsea foundation top.

Nanny would have been proud of the little guy today. She would have loved to have gone and watched.

Poor Holly getting dragged around yet another football tournament, but she looks happy.

Chaos as players go down everywhere leaving Brandon on the ball.

Brandon getting back to do some defending.

Nice action shot of Brandon on the ball.

Brandon and RJ on the attack.

Brandon fending off the opposition.

He is growing in confidence with his football and really starting to enjoy the games.

Getting stuck in there for a challenge.

A lunging slide tackle, straight from the books of FIFA15.

Cool dude Brandon with his Chelsea certificate.


Now he has the Forest Glade presentation day and more Chelsea training to look forward to next Saturday.

No comments: