Friday 20 July 2018

Sex Education at Year 5!



It seems hard to believe but at the end of Year 5 the children get the start of the sex education talks from the school. I was somewhat surprised that this starts so early and to date I haven't really given this subject much thought, thinking I still have years to go.

Anyway apparently the school split the Year 5's in to boys and girls and then took each group off for a discussion. This initial discussion seems to be more about explaining to the kids the changes that their body will go through during puberty as opposed to how babies are produced. Apparently the kids have all been told that the correct words for the male and female genitals are penis and vagina (respectively) and that they are to use that terminology when referring to them.

The boys were also told about getting pubic hair, hard feelings in their penis and the possibility of wet dreams and that the wetness is not urine and is nothing to be ashamed of. It all seems a lot for a 10 year old to take in if you ask me.

Apparently in Year 6 just before heading off to senior school they are given the full on sex education talk taking things to the next level. So I guess I have a year to prepare for the inevitable questions and the first "chat" that I will need to have with one of our children.

No comments: