Thursday 23 April 2020

Teaching Holly To Ride a Bike

One of my objectives for last year was to get Holly riding her bike as both the boys were riding at around 4-5 years old. Anyway I failed monumentally and to be honest I didn't even try last year due to the house extension etc. So this year I am determined to get her riding on her own and have been actively working on it over the last few days.

I have serviced her BMX so that it is all running nice and smooth and connected the balance buddy which I used for the boys. So the last 2 days I have been running up and down the footpath outside trying to get her riding. She is fearless and proud of how far she has come, but she does still rely on me too much and tends to lean to the left a lot. The best she has managed un-assisted is maybe 3-4m. We will keep plugging away though and hopefully by the end of lockdown this will be ticked off the "to-do" list.

After running up and down the road for 15-20 minutes we have then been connecting the Trail Gator to my bike and heading out for afternoon rides as part of her P.E. lesson. Although she cannot steer or balance, she still has to pedal. We have had some really good fun exploring parts of the Wick that I didn't even know existed despite having lived here for 20 years.

Using the balance buddy to catch Holly if she loses balance and trying to encourage her to rise on her own.

She tends to lean left a lot for some reason!

Using the Trail Gator to explore a small woodland area we found in the middle of the Wick.

The weather has been beautiful under lockdown, so just perfect to get out and explore.

Holly absolutely loves our afternoon rides and always wants to go further and find new places.

As a good deed this week we also put up a stall outside our house offering loads of old unwanted teddy bears to passersby, completely free. Just a little something from us to spread some cheer during lockdown. The response has been amazing with lots of positive comments on social media.

Holly has also been learning new games/pranks on YouTube and was desperate for me to play the blindfolded box feeling game with her! She put everything from scissors to slime in the box.

I also encouraged the kids to all do a WOD with me today. So this was the after picture having just done 20 rounds of 10 press ups, 5 down-ups and a 200m run. A good 20 mins exercise for us all.

No comments: