Thursday 7 July 2022

New Shed & Gym Expansion

Over the last 4 weeks I have spent my spare time building a new shed in the front garden with the aim of completely emptying the garage from everything except gym equipment. The logic behind this was that I wanted a bigger gym that could easily accommodate 2+ people as Holly often comes out there to train with me and at times it can be a bit dangerous when I am chucking heavy barbells around. Of course the other advantage of a bigger gym is I can buy more gym equipment.

It is funny because the boys have always taken the mickey out of me calling the garage a gym and stating that it is a garage not a gym. Well things are coming full circle now as Brandon has shown a real keen interest in gym work and now also uses "the gym" not "the garage" at least 2 or 3 times a week. This further justifies my efforts and expense to build the new shed and expand the gym.

In parallel with all of this happening, Joshua has received confirmation of his options going in to Year 10 and he seemed most pleased about the fact that he got "Construction". So he seemed quite keen to help with the construction of the shed and to get his hands on some power tools. Despite mine and David's best intentions to teach him - he was bloody useless! (but seemed to think that he was gods gift and is going to nail construction at school). 

It is a shame Joshua didn't get his options confirmed when I was building the base as I really couldn't have done with help levelling the tonne of type 1 and laying all the slabs for the base - instead the only help I had was Holly. She became quality control and was using the spirit level to check how level I had each of the slabs!!!

This is where I needed to muscle to help with laying the base for the new shed.

But the only help I got was my little Minion - Holly.

As the slabs went down, Holly was responsible for the spirit level to check the base was flat and even.

Next the wooden base went down for the new shed.

And slowly up the pre-fabricated walls went. Looks like I measured perfectly for the area prepared.

Uncle David kindly came around to help. He won't be smiling soon when he see's where Holly is going with that plank of wood!!!!

David was trying to teach Joshua some basic tool skills.

And then a bit of father-to-son teaching trying to get him to fix the door catches.

He was rather proud of his efforts screwing the door hinges in place.

There might be just a few screws with some rounded heads now!

But in the end the new shed is up, pretty solid and looks amazing. Next job is to fill it up and expand the gym.

No comments: