Friday 10 August 2012

R.I.P Grandad

Today was a very sad day as one of the boys Granddad's (Slim) died after his cancer finally got the better of him. Brandon does not really understand the concept of death and has not been adversely affected in anyway by the news. Joshua however is starting to grasp the concept of life and death and that when you stop breathing you go up to heaven in the clouds. He took the news a much worse than Brandon and was very upset and saying that he will miss grandad. We have also had some difficult questions to answer about why has grandad died and is he in heaven now etc. It is horrible for the boys to have to experience a family death at such a young age, but we want them to know the truth and understand what is going on. If nothing else the one thing I want the boys to learn from this news is to NEVER EVER smoke.

One of my fondest and funniest memories of Slim was when he once tried to ride my unicycle (remember he only has one leg as well). I don't think I ever heard him laugh so much (apart from when he childishly jumps the queue at Christmas time with opening his next present out of turn!). 



Joshua and Brandon's cousin Amy wrote this rather nice poem in memory of their Grandad.

You are my hero, my best friend, but most importantly my Grandad,
I'll miss the hugs and kisses that I received,
But I know you're still here with me.

As I watch the clouds roll by I'll know you're watching me through them,
Heaven has a new angel now and it's an amazing one of that,
I know you're still with me, etched inside my heart.

Your eyes are finally shut,
Most importantly you are finally free from pain and you can be peaceful and serene,
As the days go by I know you'll see me through and be there to keep a smile on my face.

You will live on in our hearts,
The KISMET crew will all miss you and so will a lot of other people,
Now you are at peace and I know I will see you again someday.

No comments: