Thursday 15 November 2012

School Dinners

Since starting school Joshua has had packed lunches every day except for Halloween when we paid for him to have the special Halloween dinner. However today I had the opportunity to go into the school lunchtime and sit with all the kids and enjoy a school dinner. Joshua was really excited about firstly having a school dinner and secondly about me going to have dinner with him at school. However for me I was excited about spending lunchtime with Joshua in his school, but I was somewhat apprehensive about a school dinner having not eaten one in probably 25+ years!!!! Memories of Nicholas school dinners certainly doesn't get the taste buds salivating.
 
Me and Joshua were first in the line for dinner and we both picked the chicken and rice for dinner and then two items of side salad. Then for pudding Joshua picked a nice banana and I had a pineapple sponge cake with custard. Was this my first mistake reliving cold, lumpy school custard. I have to say that the chicken was delicious, The school buy it from the local high street butcher and marinate the skin, it was very flavoursome. The rice was a little under cooked but OK. For the pudding me and Joshua decided to go halves, so he gave me half the banana and I gave him half the cake and custard.
 
Me and Josh first to sit down with our tray for dinner.
Despite being first to sit down, we were last to leave the table! This is quite remarkable really when you consider how much Joshua likes his food and usually eats very quickly. Having said that Joshua was probably the only child to eat all of his dinner and the teacher praised him for doing so,

Joshua all smiles and with a mouthful of chicken. I think Brandon would like that yellow dinner tray.

And this was my lunch for the day. Lucky me getting two bits of chicken. Not much space for the salad crammed in the knife and fork section of the tray.
 
Overall the dinner was a pleasant experience and Joshua got at least 4 of his 5 a day. The custard wasn't the lumpy horrible goop I remember, but it was stone cold. After dinner Joshua wanted me to stay for the rest of the day, however my time was up and Joshua disappeared off for his playtime.

No comments: