Tuesday 6 May 2014

Beavers Bank Holiday Fun Day

The recent May bank holiday was a bit weird for us as Joshua and Brandon were both out all day long over Barleylands on a Beavers Fun Activity Day. Now if you go back 6 years when we only had Joshua, it seemed that having a 6 month old took up all your spare time and your and subsequently you had no "me time". It is amazing how much you change after three kids though and having Joshua and Brandon occupied for the day with only little Holly to look after seemed like a piece of cake and left us loads of time to catch up on all those little jobs that keep getting put off.
 
Anyway the boys had a great day at the camp and got involved in lots of activities such as wall climbing, absailing, football, arts and crafts and much more. They started the day by raising the Union Jack on their flag pole and closed the day by standing to attention as the flag comes down. In between this they enjoyed a nice picnic lunch in their respective camp gazebo's. Brandon was given the honour of carrying the Beaver flag at their closing ceremony which was lovely to see.
 
Brandon holding the Beaver flag at the fun day closing ceremony.
Joshua lines up to attention as the Union Jack flag is dropped to signal the end of the fun day.
My two little Beavers both enjoyed their fun day in the glorious sunshine.
Both boys goes to different Beaver groups on different nights of the week which seems crazy and means more chauffeuring around by me. However they both have their own friends and like their respective group leaders so it seems really unfair to pull one of them out just to make my life easier with them both in the same group. Plus it is good for them to interact with different children and form their own circle of friends rather than rely on each other. Brandon should get officially invested into the Beavers in another 2 weeks time.
 
The final update from Beavers is that it looks like I am soon to become a parent helper at Brandon's Beaver Group. Don't ask how I keep getting roped into these things because I have no idea. So not only am I now teaching karate and coaching a football team, but I am now involved in Beavers because everyone knows I don't have many hobbies and have loads of spare time on my hands (NOT). In all seriousness I am actually quite pleased to be helping at Brandon's Beavers. Firstly it compensates for the fact that I help with Joshua's football but not his, and secondly, Beavers/Scouts is something I always wanted to do as a kid but never had the opportunity. So now I can relive my youth and get involved in the camps, the canoeing and all the other fun activities through Brandon and the other kids in the lodge.

1 comment:

Nicky xxx said...

Well done boys, looks like you had a fab day!
Congratulations Jay on finally becoming an honorary Beaver! xxx