Thursday 24 May 2012

Men At Work

There is very little I can remember about my childhood, especially when I look back at when I was Joshua and Brandon's age. However one of my strongest memories is from the Queen's Silver Jubilee and the celebration party held at my late Nan Pugh's street in Romford. I remember in great detail all of the Union Jacks, the buntin, the food, the activities, but most importantly as a 5 year old I remember being given my little Silver Jubilee matchbox car. With the Queen's diamond jubilee now only two weeks away and with the boys being a similar age to what I was 35 years ago for the Silver Jubilee, then my challenge is to try and recreate similar memories for the them.

Obviously we plan to decorate the house in Union Jacks but one of my other ideas is to prepare the boys a little goody bag to open on the morning of the jubilee. The main contents of the bag will be a Diamond Jubilee matchbox car (similar to the one I received 35 years ago) and also a Royal Mint coin to commemorate the event.

The Diamond Jubille car I have bought the boys for their goody bag. 


And this is the Royal Mint which they both have, no doubt they will try and stuff it in their money boxes.
This weekend I now need to shop around for some more Union Jack / Jubilee nik-naks to fill their goody bag.

Its quite amazing just how partiotic the country has become with the jubilee and the Olympics both taking place in 2012. Union Jacks are appearing everywhere. Joshua and Brandon previously recognised St Georges cross and the Union Jack and associated both flags with England. However we have recently explained the Queens Jubilee and now they associate all Union Jacks as the Jubilee Flag!

Anyway none of that has anything to do with the title of this blog - "Men At Work".  The blog title refers to the boys new hi-vis jackets which Auntie Lisa and Uncle David bought them from Scotland. How cool are these with "Daddy's Little Helper" written on the back

Men at work.

Daddy's little helpers.

It always amazes me just how much smaller Brandon looks when stood up next to his bigger brother.

Anybody would think they are both standing there urinating up the hall wall!

No comments: