Friday 27 July 2012

2012 Opening Ceremony

After years of anticipation today is finally the Opening Ceremony for the 2012 London Olympics. This is the first real Olympics for both boys as Brandon was not even born for Beijing and Joshua was under 1 year old. So tonight we are going to allow them to stay up and watch as much of the opening ceremony as they can before falling asleep.

You may recall that a few weeks ago Joshua did a stunning painting of the Olympic rings. Well I decided to do this again in order to let Brandon have a go. As you can see below he managed to get the colours correct but didn't quite manage the shape.

Brandon's Olympic Ring painting.

Joshua had another go at the rings himself and some would argue its better than mine given that he is only 4!

All 3 together, Brandon's, Joshua's and my Olympic ring paintings. Start the bidding....
Anyway as everyone now knows the Olympic Stadium has been setup to replicate a typical British countryside. Well here is my spoiler for the day as I reveal the opening scene of the ceremony. It has two handsome young boys in the centre of two of the over sized Olympic rings on a beautiful hillside view. See the dress rehearsal pictures below.
You never would have guessed Brandon would go for the yellow ring.




I have also been buying inflatable Olympic torches to give away to the kids at Forest Glade football club on a Saturday morning, Each week I have been organising an Olympic style, football related race and timing each of the kids. The winner each week gets to take home their very own Olympic torch. Below is a picture of Joshua with his school made torch and Brandon with one of the last remaining inflatable torch.

Team GB Olympians are in town.
However I can top all of the above as today I had the honour and privilege to have my picture taken holding one of the actual Olympic torches. This is a once in a lifetime experience which I couldn't miss. My only regret is that the boys were in nursery so I could not take them down to work to get their picture taken with the torch. Normally I think I would have pulled them out of nursery for such an event, however today was also Joshua's graduation ceremony at nursery so I kind of had to let him go really. 

Me holding the real Olympic torch.

No comments: