Sunday 19 May 2013

Wick Play Tower

Since we had the loft conversion done Mum always used to refer to our house as Wick Towers. Well the latest addition to Wick Towers is the Wick Play Tower! For some time I have been thinking and planning how to try and build the boys a raised playhouse in the back garden. However a good eBay purchase today and the job was half done for me. Instead of worrying about the design I simply had the 2.5 hour task to dis-assemble the climbing tower from a place in Leigh and then transport it back to Wickford.
 
Once we got the climbing frame home I was completely knackered and had no intention of putting it together today. However the boys had other ideas and made it crystal clear that the next 2.5 hours I would be putting it back together again. So despite tired muscles and sore hands I cracked on and by 5.30pm tonight the job was finished.
 
Brandon couldn't wait for the roof and needed to test out the ladder and the 1st floor.

In B goes, will it take the weight of both boys or was a missing a few screws!

Satisfied with Dad's handy work, Brandon tests out the new bumpy yellow slide.
Probably the toughest job was lifting the pre-built roof to the top of the tower on my own!!!! Its lucky Mum isn't with us anymore as she would have killed me for doing this without any help given that it stand over 3m high. 

The finished playhouse with roof on.

The two boys all happy and playing nicely with their new garden toy.

I think we will give it a coat of wood stain and maybe add a sandpit underneath.

We also used a skipping rope and beach bucket to hook up a hoist system for lifting any heavy loads up the tower.
When I first saw the climbing tower today I was probably only about 70% sure it was what I wanted. As me and my brother set to work stripping it down I was convinced I had made a big mistake and was trying to think how I could get out of the deal without having to pay or having to put it together again. However despite all the hard work the two boys absolutely love their new climbing tower and have been letting their little imaginations run wild playing on it all evening. Just to see them happily playing with smiles on their faces makes you realise that it was a good purchase and worth every penny and all the effort.

No comments: