Friday 14 May 2010

These boots were made for walking...

Well everybody leaves behind some sort of legacy in their lifetime and for me I have to say that so far my greatest contribution to this planet and my greatest creation by far is my two little boys. But whatever my legacy is that I leave behind, either one or both of them will one day have to step up to the plate and fill their old mans boots. Joshua has already been practicing for when this day comes and as you can see from below the boots are currently a bit too big for him to fill!!!

Last night we had our second parents evening at the nursery and our first one for Brandon. It was a very useful evening and it is great to sit and talk with the staff to understand the boys interests, what the nursery are doing in terms of their development, what we are doing at home with them and what jointly can be done to further help their development.
Brandon received an absolutely flawless glowing report. He is a very happy, content child who eats well, sleeps well, plays well (especially with his cars) and enjoys cuddles. So no surprises there really. He has shown a very keen interest in the sticking/gluing exercises so this is something we will have to do at home with him. To date all we have done with him is painting, drawing and play-doh.

Joshua was equally as good. We thought there might be signs of some behavioural issues or maybe a clash of personalities with his key worker. But it actually turns out that his problem (which is a very nice problem to have) is that he is too clever for his age and the children in his class! He requires more stimulation to keep is little mind occupied than the other children and is constantly asking what everyone is doing and helping. The nursery has even started letting him use a PC and mouse there to provide the extra stimulation that his little mind/brain needs. The other factor with Joshua is that two classes have been amalgamated together and he is kind of piggy in the middle. At 2.5 years he should have gone into the next group, but instead they have merged together. So he is in a position where he has not yet bonded with the older kids and is too clever for the younger ones in the group. I think I have also dug my own grave a little as I pretty much spend every waking minute with the boys either doing crafts, playing cars, in the garden, over the park etc and they are used to having constant attention and stimulation provided by me or Tina. Subsequently when Joshua goes to nursery he expects the same level of 1 to 1 attention and obviously cannot get it due to the staff to children ratio.

Anyway I now have two folders full of all the boys arts and crafts work from nursery, so if anyone would like some free art work then let me know. There is plenty to go around. Also I have copies of their learning journals from nursery so if anyone would like a read/copy then just let me know.

And finally to end this blog update - here is Brandon showing off his nearly pearly whites.

No comments: