Monday 20 February 2012

Play Doh Alphabet

Both boys are getting very good with their letter and number recognition now. Joshua has started learning the phonics of the letters rather than the conventional type alphabet which I have been teaching him. This is starting to confuse me somewhat as I never learnt the phonics before and do not know all of the sounds. Guess I better do some homework myself! To further develop these skills Joshua has a set of letter phonics and word sounds cards which the pre-school have given him for his homework.

At the weekend the boys were playing with the play-doh making all kinds of shapes and ice creams etc. So given their recent interest in the alphabet and letters I decided to carve their names out of play-doh to see if they could recognise each letter.


Both boys are starting to get a real grip on their numbers as well. When driving around they will look out for road signs and tell me when the see a three and a zero “30”, four and a zero “40”, five and zero “50” etc and then promptly tell me I need to go slower. They are also starting to get to grips with basic finger arithmetic’s. I can say to them things like, if I have two fingers on this hand and 1 finer on this hand, how many do I have in total? Brandon has really picked this up well and in nursery last week he picked up two cards both with a “1” on them and then went up to his teacher and asked “what does a 1 and a 1 make”? How cool is that?

On holiday in Spain last year Joshua was introduced to Phineas and Ferb for the first time and has been an avid fan ever since. At the weekend we was in a clothes shop and I picked out a nice shark t-shirt for Brandon which had the number 72 on it (the year I was born). Because Brandon was getting a t-shirt Joshua decided to rummage through the racks and find himself one. Within seconds he had homed in on an orange and white striped t-shirt saying he wanted this one because it is a Phineas t-shirt. We were complete confused by this because it was just a plain striped t-shirt with no pictures, characters or anything on it, but he was adamant this was what he wanted and so we bought it for him. Anyway we got home and put on a Phineas and Ferb cartoon and low and behold guess what Phineas wears – you got it, an orange and white striped t-shirt. How observant is that of Joshua?

Joshua proudly showing his Phineas t-shirt.
Spot the resemblance? and no comments about the red hair please.

Joshua (a.k.a Phineas) demonstrating the only way to eat a pack of Hula Hoops,


Brandon with his "72" shark t-shirt.

Shark boy chomping down on a Kellogg's chocolate cereal bar.

No comments: