Saturday 16 June 2012

Happy Dad's Day


On the Eve of my 5th Fathers day I thought I'd write a little bit about just what being a Dad means to me.

One thing I have learnt is that being a Father and being a Dad are very different things. Any man can Father a child, but not any man can become a Dad. Dad’s, like Mum’s, are not born. Men grow into Dad’s - and it is a very important stage in their development. There are no measurables for what quantifies being a good Dad and no way of accessing your development. I am sure every father tries his hardest to be the best Dad he can possibly be, but ultimately there is only one person who can judge how successful a father has been at becoming a Dad, and that is the child itself. Only time will tell whether the boys value and appreciate all my efforts – but one thing for sure is that it will not be through lack of trying if I fail as I devote myself 150% to Joshua and Brandon. One thing for sure is that I will never look back on these early years and think to myself, “I wish I had done this”, or “I wish I had not missed out on them growing up so quickly”, or “Why didn’t I spend more time with the boys?” etc.etc.


Prior to having children I think I was a lot more self centred and materialistic than I am now. Children change you in a funny way because suddenly there is someone far more important in your life than you, and someone that needs you a lot more than you need any material items. You no longer are the number one priority and all those material items are completely worthless in comparison to having a child in your life. Until you have a child you will never fully understand the instantaneous love you have for that child and that unequivocal feeling that there isn’t anything that you wouldn’t do for that child. Without a second thought I would jump in front of a moving bus to save Joshua or Brandon, I would leap into a burning house to rescue them, I would jump into any sea to save them from drowning – there is nothing I wouldn’t do to protect them even if my own life was at risk.


For me tomorrow should be called "Dad's Day" and not "Father's Day" as I would like to think I am so much more than just a Father to Joshua and Brandon. As I final thought for the day I stumbled across this rather nice poem about what makes a Dad.

What Makes a Dad
God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so,
He called it ... Dad


No comments: