Sunday 21 May 2017

Joshua's Intex Challenger K1 Maiden Voyage

Probably over 2 years ago I promised Joshua his own single seater canoe once he stopped sucking his thumb. Amazingly this incentive didn't seem to work even once Brandon had given up his cloth and got in own canoe last year. However given that he has now not sucked his thumb in around 4 weeks, I am a man of my word and he finally has his own canoe. So today we took it up to Papermill Lock for its maiden voyage.
 
I have to say that setting up my big 3 seater plus two single seaters is a bit of a workout. But I think I managed it all in somewhere between 20-30 mins and we were on the water. Both boys were absolutely fine in their canoes and rowed all the way from Boreham to Papermill Lock. Holly came with me in the big boat and unfortunately after 4 years and lots of use it is showing signs of wear and once we entered the water I noticed one side was deflating!!!
 
We had our very first puncture which made for an interesting row as I had to lean my weight on to the good side and stop Holly leaning on the bad side. The Sevloy Hudson did well though and we still made it safely to Papermill Lock. Once there we deflated the big boat though and packed her up ready for a repair job at home. Fingers crossed my repair will be OK for our next outing. So Brandon and Joshua played around in the Lock for a while and we also enjoyed some of the lovely chocolate cakes and scones from the cafe. With Josh and Brandon I was playing a game where I threw a bomb in to the river and then timed them at canoeing out, retrieving it from the water and then canoeing back. We even had a few spectators so maybe we have started a new sport!
 
Joshua finally gets his own single seater canoe.

The maiden voyage for the latest vessel to add to our fleet.
Off go the boys as me and Holly debate whether our leaking boat will make it to Papermill Lock or not.
A perfect day to be out on the river.
Off we go under a bridge at Boreham to head up river to Papermill Lock.
Practising some donuts on their boats.
The King Armada all rafted up. Fortunately me and Holly are still afloat!
I love being out on the water with the kiddies.
Brandon arrives at Papermill Lock.
Who needs to pay for a boat ride down the Chelmer when you can take your own.
Holly enjoying some strawberries in the sun.
Joshua and Brandon at the Lock.
Every time we go here the kids want the chocolate cake and me and Tina go for the strawberry cream scones.
This makes the canoe up the river all the worth while.
Other then my little puncture I think it is safe to say that today was a successful day on the river and Joshua likes his new canoe.

No comments: