Thursday 19 December 2013

A Decade of Giant Wickmas Cracker's

Around this time of year it has become a bit of a family tradition to prepare an over-sized Christmas cracker ready for our Boxing Day celebrations. Generally I tend to cut-out and build the actual cracker shape using coloured card hand picked by the boys, then they usually decorate the cracker to make it look festive. The cracker is usually then filled with secret Santa presents, chocolates and various little cracker toys. It is always good fun to get the family around the cracker but somewhat disheartening to see all of our hard work destroyed in a frenzied matter of seconds.

I originally came up with the idea of a giant cracker in memory of my late Granddad King. One of my childhood memories was being around our Nan and Granddad's one Christmas and them having an abnormally large family cracker on display over on the of the doors. I guess this has now become my tradition to carry on and pass on to the boys. Anyway before I get into the 2013 cracker it is very interesting to take a quick snap shot over the last 6 years!

2003 - the first ever Wickmas Giant Cracker.

2006 - before children Amy and Zoe helped me with the cracker

2007 - Joshua's first year but too young to get involved.
2009 - Brandon's first experience of a Giant Wickmas Cracker.
 
2010
2011
2012
So that brings us right up to date to 2013. The colours for this years cracker was green (chosen by Brandon), blue (chosen by Joshua) and pink (chosen by me on behalf of Holly). Brandon picked the ribbon this year which is a sort of browny colour (seems to be his favourite colour at the moment). As usual the boys thoroughly enjoyed decorating the cracker and did a cracking job. Joshua was very curious as to how Santa is going to get the presents inside the cracker.

Joshua hard at work decorating his blue end.
Brandon decorating his green end.
I took the task of decorating Holly's middle pink section.
Starting to look good.
Finished, and in the time honoured tradition me and Brandon add stickers to our faces.

Little Holly is probably small enough to go inside the cracker.

So there you have it, a decade of Giant Wickmas Crackers. Will the tradition continue for another decade? The scary thing is just how quick the kids all grow up and it won't be long before the 2006 picture of Zoe and Amy will be my kids at a similar age.
 
 

1 comment:

Nicky xxx said...

Wow, some blasts from the past there! My girlies look so little! As you said Jay, luckily you enjoy it but it does take a while to make the giant cracker, only for the KISMET crew to reduce it to scrap paper within seconds! I think this will be an ongoing family tradition and look forward to wrecking many giant crackers in the future! xxx